Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) Continue Systematic Attacks against Palestinian Civilians and Property in the Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT)
- In a new extra-judicial execution crime, the IOF killed a Palestinian activist and wounded another.
- IOF used force to disperse peaceful protest organized by Palestinian civilians in the West Bank.
- 2 Palestinian civilians, including a journalist, were wounded in the Kafr Qaddoum demonstration, northeast of Jenin.
- IOF conducted 36 incursions into Palestinian communities in the West Bank.
- IOF arrested 17 Palestinians, including 4 children.
- Israel has continued to impose a total closure on the OPT, and has isolated the Gaza Strip from the outside world.
- IOF established dozens of checkpoints in the West Bank and hindered the movement of Palestinian civilians.
- IOF arrested two children at a checkpoint in the old town of Hebron.
- IOF have continued to target civilian objects.
- IOF fired artillery shells at the vicinity of Gaza International Airport, but no casualties were reported.
- IOF have continued settlement activities in the West Bank and Israeli settlers have continued to attack Palestinian civilians and property.
- Israeli settlers blew up a Palestinian vehicle in the Senjel village, north of Ramallah.
Israeli violations of international law and humanitarian law in the OPT continued during the reporting period (02 – 08 August 2012):
During the reporting period, a Palestinian activist was killed and another was wounded when an IOF aircraft targeted them in the south of the Gaza Strip. The IOF also wounded many Palestinian civilians and Israeli and international human rights defenders in peaceful demonstrations in protest of the annexation wall and settlement activities in the West Bank.
On 05 August 2012, the IOF positioned at the border with Israel near Karm Abu Salem crossing in the south of Rafa fired shells at the vicinity of Gaza International Airport and the eastern outskirts of Rafah. Helicopters flying in the sky of the area also opened fire for approximately two hours. The local population panicked, but no casualties were reported.
During the reporting period, the IOF used force to disperse peaceful demonstrations organized in protest of the construction of the annexation wall and settlement activities in the West Bank. As a result, 2 Palestinian civilians were wounded, including a journalist, Ashraf Abu Shawish (42), who sustained wounds from a tear gas canister to his right leg. The other civilian sustained wounds from a tear gas canister to his right hand. Dozens of demonstrators also suffered from tear gas inhalation.
The full report is available online at: